24 April 2012

Retelling Rope

I finally made a retelling rope for my classroom!  I had seen different versions of them them years ago on other blogs and just recently saw one on Pinterest from First Grade Wow's Blog.  She has her students make their own retelling ropes using string.  Check it out here.  I wanted a larger version to use whole group at the carpet during read alouds.  For each story, we discuss the characters, setting, beginning, problem (knot)-middle, end-solution (bow that ties up the story).   My students connected it to a knot in their shoelaces (problem) and how when they finally undo the knot and create a neat bow, the problem is solved and they're good to go!  When they are retelling a story independently, they use my Story Street printable.  This is generally one of their literacy stations.  They can either use the story we are reading for the week or their library book.  You can get a free copy of the Story Street printable at my Teachers Pay Teachers store.











Click the images above to get the freebie at my TPT store.
 

5 comments:

  1. Your retelling rope is so cute!!!!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you make the recording sheets available too?

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel silly - it's in your store. I am your newest follower. :) Just love your blog. I taught second for the past few years before kinder this year and really miss second.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats the best and nicest retelling rope, a person can make to surprise the Children Thanks for sharing this beautiful work piece here. Keep posting more amazing articles like this.

    ReplyDelete